Thursday 19 July 2012

"So...how was Ghana?"

I've been back two weeks, and man, I hate that question.

Because people are never gonna quite get what it's like. And the only people who do understand have been scattered across different sides of the Atlantic Ocean.

Now, don't get me wrong, I've loved seeing my old friends again, and I guess it is quite nice to choose my own meals and have hot showers and Diet Coke. But god, I'm bored.

I went from being one of the only obrunis in the village - highly educated and interesting and wealthy and worthy of respect - to just another student waiting for term to start. Unemployed and one of a million. And there are far too many white people here.

Already it's starting to feel like a dream, another life, and soon all it will come down to is a couple of paintings on my wall and a lingering sandal tan. Or maybe not. Maybe, in the middle of the jungle somewhere, there's a girl who's no longer beaten every day of her life because she can't see the board. Maybe there's a class of kids that might actually have a chance at passing at least some of their exams this year. Who can say if we ever truly make a difference?

If you need me, I'll be in the shower, holding a bucket.

No comments:

Post a Comment