Saturday 26 May 2012

Sight

It started with a single sentence.

"There's, what, 400 kids at your school and not one of them wears glasses?"

For those of you who don't know me so well, when I return to Scotland I'm studying for my optometry degree at university, so when my dad pointed this out to me on his trip to V.A.G.I.S. I wondered how I hadn't seen it before. Uncorrected sight is the number one cause of blindness in the world, and if any of my kids had ever seen an optometrist in their lives then Mary Woode lived to be 100 years old (basically...no.). So I decided to do something about it.

I tested my entire school's eyesight in one week (headmaster was practically dancing with joy), and in the next few weeks I travel to Takoradi to test the pupils at Timoskay and Nazareth schools. I've finally found a way that I can make a real difference in this country.

I guess my optometric career began under the shade of the big tree in a dusty schoolyard in the middle of West Africa. And was almost immediately interrupted by a herd of goats.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Fi, everything at home is amazing! I'm on the internet, IN BED! I would, however, give it all up for a chance to come back home to Achiase. I hope you guys have an amazing time with the time you have left, and that you enjoy being the only obrunis in the village. Don't be strangers, I'm stuck in bed anyways. Miss you guys always.

    Did you ever convince the master to let you test the kids at sacred?

    ReplyDelete